Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 8 wild blueberry scones
– 2 cups all-purpose flour*
– ½ cup sugar*
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– ¾ teaspoon salt
– ½ cup frozen wild blueberries or ¼ cup dried wild blueberries
– 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (I use So Delicious Original Culinary Coconut Milk), or as needed**
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Coarse sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and lightly dust two spots with flour.
2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
3. Add the frozen wild blueberries to the flour, and toss lightly to coat, breaking up any berry clumps.
4. Drizzle in ¾ cup of the coconut milk and add the vanilla. Stir to bring everything together. Drizzle in more coconut milk as needed (I use 1 cup total) to get a cohesive dough that is somewhat workable but not too sticky.
5. Divide the dough in half and place both on the prepared baking sheet. Gently pat each into a circle that is roughly ¾ to 1-inch high. Place in the freezer while you preheat your oven to 425ºF.
6. Once the oven is preheated, remove the baking sheet from the freezer an cut each disk into 4 wedges. Pull the wedges apart about 1 inch to give them a little space.
7. Brush the tops of the dough with a little coconut milk, and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes. Can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or individually frozen for longer.
*Healthifying Note: Since this is a Panera copycat recipe I went all out with indulgence. But if you prefer a less sweet scone, reduce the sugar to ¼ to ⅓ cup or use finely ground coconut sugar, and reduce the salt to ½ teaspoon. For a more wholesome bite, you can use whole wheat pastry flour or white-wheat flour, but the wild blueberry scones will not rise as much.
**Coconut Milk Note: Do not use “lite” and do not use “milk beverage”. See post above for pictures.