Serves 6 – 8
– 1.5 lbs. of Zucchini; sliced thinly lengthwise
– 3.5 lbs. of button mushrooms sliced
– 1 package of whole wheat lasagna sheet pasta (buy fresh made pasta if available.)
– 2 packages of firm tofu, drained
– 1/3 cup of Nutritional yeast
– 1 tsp. chopped garlic
– 1.5 tbsp. lemon juice
– 2 tsp. oregano
– 3 cups vegan marinara sauce
– ½ cup fresh basil
– 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
– ½ tsp. salt
– ½ tsp. black ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400º F. Arrange the zucchini, mushrooms and tofu in a pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and just browning. Remove everything from the oven and reduce heat to 350°F.
Make the tofu filing: crumble the tofu finely in a large mixing bowl. Add in the nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, 1 tbsp of olive oil, ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of black pepper.
Lightly oil a ½ pan. Spread ½ cup marinara sauce over the bottom of the dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles over the sauce and top the noodles with half of the roasted vegetables. Spread half of the tofu mixture over the vegetables. Arrange 4 noodles and 1 cup of marinara sauce over the tofu. Cover the marinara sauce with the remaining roasted vegetables and tofu. Cover this layer with the 4 remaining lasagna noodles and a final cup of marinara sauce. (The top should be red with marinara as the top layer.)
Bake the lasagna for 40 minutes, or until noodles are crisping at the edges and everything is bubbling gently.
Arrange the basil leaves over the top of the lasagna. Cut and serve to your new adoring fans!