Total Time: 25 minutes Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: about 12 minutes
– 1 2/3 cup flour (all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour)
– 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– ½ cup coconut sugar
– 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
– ½ teaspoon baking soda
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 1 1/3 cups grated zucchini
– ¾ cup almond milk
– 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
– 2 tablespoons maple syrup
– 1 flax egg
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– ½ cup chocolate chunks (dairy free)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with parchment liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the grated zucchini, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. If using a gluten-free blend or whole wheat pastry flour, you may need to add more milk, as these are more absorbent flours. Fold in the chocolate chunks, reserving a few for topping. Fill the muffin liners with the batter and sprinkle the extra chocolate chunks on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Kathie’s Zucchini Muffins on Cooking Light