Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Total Time: 30 mins
Serves: 16 brownies
– ¼ cup natural, unsalted almond butter
– ½ cup organic dark brown sugar or coconut sugar
– ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
– ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
– ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon almond extract (vanilla is okay)
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water whisked together, set for 15 mins)
– ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
– ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Whisk until it resembles caramel.
3. Add cocoa powder in ¼ cup increments, whisking until shiny and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in almond extract and salt. Stir just a few times to gently incorporate.
4. Add flax eggs in, whisking until well incorporated. In thirds, whisk in the flour. As the batter gets harder to whisk, switch to folding with a rubber spatula. Fold until well incorporated and no flour patches remain.
5. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into pan. Using a rubber spatula, smooth batter into an even layer.
6. Bake for 25-30 mins. Cool for 1 hour, or until completely cool. Slice into 16 brownies. Enjoy!
– Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
– These freeze well. Before freezing, cool completely. Wrap in parchment paper. Then, store in an airtight, freezer-friendly container. Allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, or heat in 20 second increments in the microwave until warm.